Microgreens are a delicious and versatile vegetable that can be grown in any small space. The family can also enjoy this type of vegetable and help preserve it’s freshness and health benefits. This article provides some guidelines on how to grow microgreens for beginner.
- You must have containers for growing microgreens. You need to grow it in a small container or pot that is about 2 inches in diameter. It will be more convenient if you choose plastic containers for the roots and leaves to grow in.
- You must remove the leaves and stems, so that you do not have to cut stems every few days. It is also important to prepare the containers before planting, because plants do not like moist environments. So, to avoid unwanted problems, you need to add some kind of water seal, so that there is no need to add water.
- To grow the plants successfully, you must have an adequate lighting system for the plants. The plants will be able to grow in bright areas if they receive proper lighting. You can use one lamp or fluorescent bulbs for this purpose.
- The plants need strong sunlight for optimal growth. They are fragile plants, so it is best to have them grow in artificial light. An artificial light is not as dark as the natural sunlight, so microgreens can survive under this type of illumination.
- It is important to have a good spot for your plants. In general, microgreens do not grow in hot and humid areas. They will only end up dying because of the bad weather conditions. You can have plants growing on your windowsill, but make sure that the windowsill is airy and not too humid.
- You must have a place where you can feed the plants regularly. Most vegetables require fertilizers to grow properly. If you are having microgreens in a greenhouse, you can feed them with fertilizer once in three weeks. You can also make use of compost, if you do not want to use fertilizers on the plants.
- You should make sure that the temperature is right for the microgreens. They need to be in a warm spot, where they are able to produce their first leaves. A minimum temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit is what is recommended. Some microgreens can be even grown in colder temperatures, just make sure that the temperatures are not too high.
- Make sure that you have sufficient water in the pots. Microgreens require more water than other vegetables, so you should get enough for them. In the case of microgreens, the more the better.
- Feeding the plants are also very important. You can make use of a healthy, balanced feeding regime, which you can get from your local garden center. Make sure that the microgreens that you will be planting will receive all of these essential nutrients, so that the plants will be well grown.
- Growing microgreens is not as hard as you may think. In fact, you can find some great guides online that show you step by step on how to grow them. You can also start buying seeds and microgreens online, so that you can save time and effort when planting.
You should have enough time to start growing microgreens. So, enjoy!